If you are a migrant coming into Australia or wanting to extend your stay in Australia, you will want to make sure that you are making use of whatever possibilities are out there. One such possibility is the training visa, and yet this is commonly overlooked. You want to make sure you don’t allow that to happen, as it is one of the important things you need to consider. Let’s take a look at it now to see what you might need to consider.

What Is It?

The purpose of the training visa is to create goodwill between Australia and other countries.. It is a one to two-year visa which allows a company to upskill their chosen candidate to a higher-level position, while at the same time doing on the job training whilst working in the lower level occupation. As such, it is a way for the visa holder to be able to work full-time.

To gain the visa, the applicant must be able to demonstrate 12 out of the last 24 months of relevant work, or alternatively full-time studying experience. It is not necessary to pay the Skilling Australians Fund – which could cost a company up to $7000 in some cases. The company needs to pay the award wage to the visa holder, as they would to an Australian working in the same position. In some instances, it can be used to gain work experience to satisfy the requirements of the TSS 407 visa, or alternatively the DAMA (Designated Area Migration Agreement) but it gives the company the opportunity to train the candidate to this higher level. It is important to note that this visa is not designed to fill skills shortages, nor to disadvantage the training of Australians.  


There is a genuine temporary entry requirement, similar to that of  a student visa. In other words, it must be demonstrated that the applicant will return to their own country on completion of the on the job training.  This visa requires company sponsorship, nomination and visa application. For further information on requirements and to assess your eligibility, please contact us to book a Migration Consultation.

Why Apply

The training visa provides a means to further upskill yourself after your studies in Australia. You can even apply for this visa after holding a graduate visa. In some cases, the experience you gain on a training visa can be used towards the two-year requirement for full-time work experience for the TSS 407 visa. Note that both are temporary visas with a genuine temporary entry requirement on each. To fulfil the 12 months of relevant work experience in the past 24 months, you can show 24 months of part-time work experience or use studies instead. In some instances, you could even return to a student visa after having completed your internship on the training visa.

How To Apply

Your occupation must be on the training visa occupation list, which changes every six months. Then the skills audit and training plan needs to be organised, which shows why you need the training. You need to be careful you don’t have too much training in that field already. Be prepared for medical and police checks as part of this process.

Top Tips

  • Make sure the company is in a strong financial position.
  • Make sure the training plan and skills audit are carefully considered and written properly.
  • Make sure you really can prove the 12 out of 24 months of work experience.
  • MMMigration provides training to other migration agents through the MIA – Migration Institute of Australia, demonstrating our leadership in this field. Our expert team of migration agents is experienced and we are specialised in this visa.

If you are currently working, we can speak to your employer to explain why sponsoring you with the training visa is an excellent business decision for your company! Retaining talent is one of the biggest challenges of the modern workforce.  

If you wish to find out your eligibility, obtain migration master and achieve your migration goals, contact us to speak to our Migration Coordinator and book a consultation or book online anytime via this link:https://melanie-macfarlane-and-associates.appointlet.com/

  • Share