Student Visa (subclass 500)

Visa Details

You will need to show that you are a genuine student who will complete their studies in Australia, comply with visa conditions and return home after your studies.

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your studies, generally up to five years. The student visa grant period will depend on the length and type of course. You can work for up to 40 hours a fortnight whilst your course is in session.

You can apply for a student visa in Australia or overseas. If in Australia, you would generally need to hold a substantive visa which is not subject to a “no further stay” condition.

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application unless under acceptable circumstances. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

Eligibility Criteria

You must:

  • have been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia;
  • have appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age;
  • with limited exceptions, be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS);
  • have a main course of study which will be used to determine your financial and English language evidentiary requirements;
  • provide evidence of adequate health insurance arrangements, which is an ongoing condition of your visa.

We work closely with VETA Education Consultancy, which assists in placing onshore and offshore overseas students in colleges and universities throughout Australia to study English and vocational courses and degrees, and obtain their student visas.

Start the conversation