Resident Return Visa (subclasses 155 and 157)

Visa Details

A Resident Return visa is a travel facility for:

  • current Australian permanent residents.
  • some former Australian permanent residents.
  • some former Australian citizens.

You will need a Resident Return visa (RRV) if the travel facility on your current visa has expired (your first granted permanent visa has a five-year travel facility) or is about to expire and you want to travel overseas and retain your permanent resident status.

Departing Australia without an RRV may impact your permanent residency requirements for citizenship.


You must be:

  • an Australian permanent resident.
  • a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled.
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
Start the conversation